Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Omaha, Nebraska Week 9


October 18, 2011
Hola!

How are you all doing?! Anything new in life?

Things are going well here! This week it is starting to show signs of winter! Scary! Yesterday was one of the first cold days but it's not too bad. Today Sister Hawkes and I are going to try and find some boots for me. What an adventure! I'm going to have to gradually start accumulating some winter clothes. I have lots of tights and spandex but now I need to layers for on top. As the weather gets colder all of the colorful leaves are now falling and things are getting a little bare. That is the saddest part!

Well guess what?! We had some visitors from the general church leaders come on Saturday. We met Sister Wixom (from the General Primary Presidency), Sister Dalton (from the Young Women's Presidency), and Sister Thompson (from the Relief Society Presidency.) They stopped by the Trail Center for a little bit and we were able to meet with them. That was a neat experience. They are such amazing ladies!

That same day I gave my first tour to a deaf family!! I was nervous when someone grabbed me and was like, "You know some sign language, right?" I said something like, "yeah... but not much and it has been forever." Well, that qualified me so I hesitantly walk up to them and sign the best I could to them asking them how they are doing and where they are from. Thankfully I could remember how to sign that! haha! I was much better at reading their signs than remember how to talk back. Luckily I could make out them signing something to the effect of, "we are waiting for our friend who will be the interpreter." My thoughts, "HALLELUJAH!!" So their friend came and was able to interpret for me. I signed what I knew and could remember and he did the rest and would help me understand what I could get from their signs. It was such a fun time being able to use sign language though! A lot came back to me throughout the tour so that was good! This family wasn't members so it was kind of difficult to try and explain things very simply to them and keep their attention to focus on the interpreter. Something went well though because they took a Book of Mormon out with them and said they would look at it.

Also, I have some exciting news!!! We now get to do the mormon.org chat service! They just added in a 6 hour shift where we will be chatting with people on Mormon.org and answering their questions. It's so cool At first it was just going to be 1 hour but I guess the head department said that wasn't enough so now we will be sitting for 6 hours talking to people. We talk to people as a companionship and we can only do one chat at a time. Some sisters have already had some really neat experiences! We also can set return appointments with people and can continuously teach them online, no matter where they are in the world. Pretty sweet!
Pretty much everyone we talk to has seen the mormon.org commericals here. Most people are connecting it with Mitt Romney though. Everyone thinks they are pretty cool but so far it hasn't necessarily increased our teaching pool. Although it does let us talk to people on their door steps a little easier. We're excited to see how this Mormon.org push will increase the missionary work and efforts in our areas! The ward members are excited about it though!

This week we got to do a good amount of service! For one family we helped them clean out their garage. That was a good time! We also are doing a good amount of leaf raking! Oh man, Nebraska has SO MANY spiders... everyone! It is rare to not see spider webs outside of people's front doors. I don't think they even care to try and get rid of them because there are monstrous spider webs everywhere. Perfect for Halloween though! Also, Nebraskans really get into Halloween decorations. I have been thoroughly impressed so far!

So we had a cool experience earlier this week! So if you didn't know, we have our entire day planned out in 30 minute increments with a back-up plan to everything. So there is never a minute when we don't know what we should be doing or where we need to go. Anyways, we randomly feel like we need to go visit a certain Less-active family in the ward who we didn't plan for. We walk up to the house and see another woman in her car in their driveway and she says they aren't home and she just tried. So we get talking to this lady who is sitting in her car with the window down. She is way nice and asks what we are doing... we tell her how we're missionaries and about the message we have. Then she politely asks us if we will pray with her right there. She was so cute, probably in her mid-30's. She grabs our hands and then I said a prayer for her. Afterwards she is a little teary eyed and says, "Thank you. You have no idea how much I needed that." It was so grateful we were able to see here there and were at the right place at the right time to help her out. She said she has been struggling a lot and really needs to come to God. She doesn't live in our area so we were able to refer her to the missionaries who work in her area. I love going around and constantly getting to meeting amazing people and serve them.

Well, that about sums up my week! Met lots of good people, have had some nice lessons, and we're working hard!! :)
P.s. Lex, thank you so much for my amazing Halloween package!! My roommates and I love it!! I also enjoyed the pictures. Gracias!!

Have a great week everybody!!
Love,
Sister Jones

0 comments:

Post a Comment