Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Week 15

November 28, 2011
Hello!!!

How is everybody doing? DId you all have a good Thanksgiving?
My Thanksgiving was good! We had lunch with the bishop and his family at a clubhouse where they had a buffet of food. It was delicious! It didn't really seem like Thanksgiving though, just like nice meal on a normal day. But it was really fun and nice being with them. Their family is super nice and cute! Bishop Butler is from Mesa so that made us friends right off the bat. haha!


So during one of my personal studies this week I was reading and came accross Helaman 10:4-5 and it totally describes the missionary I am striving to be. 

 Blessed art thou, Nephi, for those things which thou hast done; for I have beheld how thou hast with unwearyingness declared the word, which I have given unto thee, unto this people. And thou hast not feared them, and hast not sought thine own life, but hast sought my will, and to keep my commandments. And now, because thou hast done this with such unwearyingness, behold, I will bless thee forever; and I will make thee mighty in word and in deed, in faith and in works; yea, even that all things shall be done unto thee according to thy word, for thou shalt not ask that which is contrary to my will.

I just loved these scriptures. Nephi is amazing! I know that as I give the Lord my will and give of myself for His work that not only will I be blessed, but I will get to touch many people's lives. It doesn't get much better than that. I have already seen so many miracles and blessings as I have worked hard to be a consecrated missionary. Missionary work is the best!

Since this past week was Thanksgiving I have given a lot of thought about the things I am grateful for. I have a huge journal entry on it but I figured I would summarize a few of the main points for all of you.
I am especially grateful for my family. You are all so supportive of me. Not just now on my mission, but all throughout my life. In my journal I wrote out each of my family members and talked about the difference that they've made in my life. I can't help but get teary eyed as I think about how much I love my huge, slightly crazy, super funny, and amazing family. I have four parents who I love dearly and 8 siblings who I can't imagine life without. I am one lucky girl!!
I am grateful for the opportunity I have to be on a mission, serving the Lord full-time.
I am very grateful for all of the kind people I've met in Nebraska.
I'm thankful for the friends I have back home and the examples they are to me. 
I'm also grateful for all of the new friends I've made on my mission. My companions, other missionaries, the ward members from Lakeview and Grand Island, and the great people I've been able to teach.
And overall I am eternally grateful for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. They have blessed me so much throughout my life and I know that they are always there for me. My testimony of our Savior is strengthened every day as I get to testify of Him and the ways that we can become more like Him and utilize the atonement. The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-Day Saints has been such a blessing in my life. It has been my foundation and my security. That is why I'm on a mission, so I can share the joy that I've had throug the gospel of Jesus Christ with everybody that I meet.
 This week has been great! We taught SO MANY LESSONS and met SO MANY PEOPLE! Heavenly Father is blessing us right now and it's incredible.
-Michele is getting baptized this Saturday!!! Yay!! Everybody is so excited. She asked me to give the talk on baptism and Sister Ashby to give the closing prayer. I don't know how Sister Ashby lucked out like that. haha! I'm excited to give the talk though. The ward is being really supportive and nice so it will be a great baptism.
- We have been meeting with B.J. and Nancy a lot this week! Nancy was baptized when she was very young and hadn't been to church since and B.J. doesn't really have a religion. It has been so incredible to see the change in their family since we first started meeting with them. At first BJ wouldn't even talk to us when we invited her to join us and then one time she asked us a question and then would go make herself busy and then when we were teaching the Plan of Salvation she finally sat with everyone else and listened to us! We also teach BJ's daughter Selena. But BJ now begs us to come teach her and says, "I really love you guys a lot... and I don't say that to many people. Normally I have some choice words when it comes to missionaries but you guys are amazing. Can't you just cancel all of your appointments and stay here all day??" haha! We found a way to her heart and now she wants us to come teach her a lot! She said she will work towards January 7th as her baptismal day. Her and Nancy also came to church this Sunday!! What a MIRACLE!! I was soooo happy when I saw they actually came!! :) I just love their family and am so excited to see how they progress.
- We taught some other people as well this week and those were good. Oh man, I am just so happy with how things are going right now.

Sister Ashby and I are doing well together. We get along well and she just cracks me up.  We joke about how different our minds work.. I love TO DO lists in my head and make sure I do everything and she would rather not think about what needs done so she doesn't get a headache. She also likes to just follow me and make me lead everything. So i'm working on backing off and making her lead more. Which requires a lot of patience and me normally having to tell her to lead out a lesson or something. The Lord knows I can take charge but I think he's testing me to help me let her grow in this area and let me work on patience. Fun times! We get to laugh a lot and are working hard!

The weather is good. It was windy the other day but other than that we are well. I still need to get pepper spray. BJ said she might get us some. She worries about us. Well life is great and I have to go! Love you all!! :)

Adios!
Love,
Sister Jones

0 comments:

Post a Comment