Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 24

February 1, 2012

Hi family!
 
So we got our transfer calls this morning... I'm staying in Grand Island and Sister Ashby is going back to Omaha. We figured that would be the case. Sister Dubois is going to be my new companion! She is also from Phoenix, AZ and she came out a transfer before me and I knew her from when I was in Omaha. I am going to be the seinor companion. Of what I remember she is nice and very quiet. (So I will get to continue to work on zipping my lips and evening out the talking/ teaching. haha!) Although change is always good, I teared up when I heard that me and Sister Ashby won't be together. We grew pretty close throughout the past 2 transfers. At least she will still be there when I get back to Omaha (probably in another 2 transfers). I'm a little nervous for this next transfer but everything will work out and I know that the Lord will help me.
 
It feels like so much has happened in the past week and a half... I don't even know where to begin!
Here are the main things that happened that I could remember:
 
  • Kearney Zone training! I love it when the whole zone gets together and President and Sister Kunz talk to us. They mostly focused the trainings on asking good/ inspired questions and using the scriptures more effectively. It normally lasts from 8:30-4:30 so we learn and practice a lot of really good and helpful things!
  • An old investigator named Cortyln gives us a lot of food each week because she works at the Salvation Army food pantry and gives us what isn't used. That is really helpful and makes grocery shopping much easier! But the best part is that Cortlyn wants to study the Book of Mormon again with us. Yay!
  • We had a lot of people at church this last week! We had about six less-actives come to church that don't normally come. I get SUPER happy when I see people come to church for the first time in a very long time!! :)
  • Wendy is a really nice lady we went to see a few weeks ago who was baptized about 10 years ago and stopped going to church a couple years later. The 1st time we went to see her she had no interest in the church and said her beliefs had changed. We asked her to pray about the Book of Mormon and to read the restoration pamphlet and just testified about how the gospel can help her in her life. The next week we came back and she had a totally different attitude and said she felt sooo good as she prayed and knows she needs to come back to church. We have been teaching her again and basically have to start from the beginning but it's incredible how she is finding out the truth again. What a miracle! You could tell how much her heart has been softening over the few weeks that she has been reading the Book of Mormon and praying. She came to church this last Sunday and loved it. She is so nice and I just love her!!
  • I'm doing a fast from chocolate and music besides hymns. It's called a 40 day fast where you sacrifice something to have the Spirit more in your life. The only reason I mention that I'm not eating chocolate is because Valentines Day (and my birthday) are coming up. So you don't have to send me any chocolate. :) But if you do then I will either save it till the end of February when the fast ends or share it with others. haha! For my birthday I don't need anything but I would LOVE it if you would just send a nice letter with your testimony/ beliefs and anything else you want to write. That would mean more to me than any other gift you could send. Thanks! :)
  • Yesterday we had a district activity and we all went to the Stuhr Museam. It has lots of Nebraska history and talks a lot about the pioneers that have come through. It was really cool! You might be able to look it up online to read more about it. I didn't know that Wels Fargo was established here!
  • We did a lot of tracking this week. We had some good experiences where we found some people to teach but the one that stands out most in my mind is a man that we talked to outside of his home. We were talking about mormon.org and how it talks about our beliefs. Then he said, "Do you believe in going on dates?" (My thoughts: Gag!) Then I said: "Nope! Not as missionaries!" But there are plenty of Mormons that do!!" And he said, "Oh man! Well that's too bad." We quickly rapped up that conversation and let him be on his way with committing him to look at the website. Oh goodness, some people are just crazy. He started the convo by reading our tags and asking if we are nuns... why would you even try to ask a nun on a date?! Desperation? haha- I don't even get it!
  • The Spanish elders and the other Grand Island Elders both had baptisms this week! That was really exciting! We only got to go to the GI elder's baptism because we gave a restoration lesson while the people were changing right after they were baptized. The baptism was so good and the spirit was really strong!
  • Two of our people that we've been teaching that are set for baptism are moving this week to Council Bluffs. That's a bummer but at least there are missionaries there that can continue teaching them.
That about sums up the week! I'll talk to you all on Monday and let you know how everything is going with transfers. It's going to be SO different here! I keep telling myself- change is good!
Well I hope you are all doing well! I love you!
-Sister Jones

0 comments:

Post a Comment