Pages

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Week 27

February 20, 2012


Happy Presidents Day!!
 
Thank you all for the birthday wishes this week! It was a great and memorable birthday! Not only did I receive lots of lovin' from family and friends from back home, but I also did from ward members and other missionaries. We had our Kearney zone conference on my b-day and it was great! President Kunz made it a point to mention it was my b-day as much as he could! haha! I think he was purposefully trying to embarrass me. Right when him and Sister Kunz pulled into the parking lot he rolled down the window and yelled, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY SISTER JONES!!!" and then in the meeting he mentioned it by saying, "and now the birthday girl, Sister Jones, will offer the prayer!" He had a fun time with that. lol. So because of that lots of the other missionaries said happy birthday. The elders in my district made a card for me and that was nice! It's so funny being surrounded by a ton of elders (boys) at big meetings like that. Me and Sister DuBois are the only sisters there. Even without it being my birthday there is already enough attention on us. lol! It was fun though! We talked a lot about the atonement of Christ and having more meaningful and revelatory personal prayers.
 
Courtlyne is progressing really well! She came to church this week and has been reading from the Book of Mormon. She has decided that the Book of Mormon is true and doesn't have any doubts. She also believes Joseph Smith is a prophet of God. Overall she is doing great and just needs to continue coming to church and she'll be all set to be baptized on the 10th of March. Angel and Lisa's baptism dates had to be moved because they didn't come to church. Sad! Lisa was sick and Angel's grandma was in the ER. Hopefully they can get past those trials and com to church next week.
We got another baptismal set this week! His name is Bobby and he's really nice. He is living in an assisted living place right now because he just got surgery on his foot. He really wants to learn more about God and Jesus Christ. Bobby called the church and asked for a Book of Mormon, so the next day we showed up and gave him a Book of Mormon! It's going to be hard to get him to church but we'll see what we can do to help him.
 
So remember the guy Colt that me and Sister Ashby randomly met at the gas station who said he was mormon and then showed up to church the next day because we invited him? Hopefully I told you about him last month. Well, he has been coming to church faithfully ever since! Pretty cool! He is in his 20's and said he hadn't been to church since he was 12 or so. He is doing great and even came teaching with us earlier this week! Doesn't get much better that that. I love watching people take steps to change their lives around and watch their faith grow!
 
We have a new investigator named Virginia who is super nice but doesn't speak very good English. We offered to have the spanish missionaries come teach her but she said no. haha, I guess she likes us and wants to learn in English. So that should be interesting since she isn't totally fluent but it will help us be better at teaching simply. After the first time meeting with us she gave us wonderful homemade Mexican food! Sooo good! (That doesn't happen very often.) Then when we left her house I had my first fall of the winter!!! HILARIOUS MOMENT!! I took a step on her stairs and didn't notice a layer of clear ice covering it and totally biffed it down all 4 stairs. hahaha! Definitely a Kodak moment. I started laughing so hard and bounced up really quickly. Luckily my backpack took most of the fall and I landed in a crab position. Sister DuBois and Virginia were all worried, especially Virginia. I couldn't stop laughing. But no worries, I didn't get hurt... i just scratched my hands a little and a small bruise on my leg. I have done so well this whole winter without falling though and I finally broke that streak. It was really funny though slipping down a case of stairs, in what felt like slow motion. :)
 
Last night me and SIster DuBois got to go to Kearney for a stake youth fireside! President and Sister Kunz picked us up in Grand Island and we drove with them there. They asked me to speak for about 5 minutes about what my mission means to me and then they talked the rest of the time about being missionaries. That was a lot of fun because there were about 150 kids there ranging from 12-17. I was honored to be able to talk about how much I love being a missionary and what a difference it has and will continue to make in my life. That was a memorable and great experience! I loved being able to represent the girls as a sister missionary!
 
Well my time is up now! Hope you are all doing wonderfully!!!
Love,
Sister Jones

0 comments:

Post a Comment